Friday 1 May 2015

Lulupu Challenge #49 : Feminine - Use wings & Colour Palette

Hello Everyone!

Manu here and I'm bringing a brand new challenge for you this month!!! We had some awesome and wonderful entries for our last Watercolors challenge  and this month of May will be yet another exciting month for all! We celebrate Mother's Day during this month and we thought about getting our kitty full of lovely gifts for that one Angel in our lives. The Theme for this months challenge is all about capturing that very essence of being a lady! Yes, it's the right time to make utterly cute feminine theme related creations.


Lulupu challenge #49
Theme: Color Palette + Feminine Creations
Twist: use wings
(Click here to read the general guidelines)

1. Anything goes - so you can make a card, layout, canvas, mini album, 3d project etc.
2.  Emphasis on feminine - The creations have to be all feminine based. Go wild with your imagination.

3. Don't forget the twist - Include wings in your project. You can use both too if you want. 

4. You have until 31st May 2015 11:55 IST to submit your entries. 

Here's what the winner for this months challenge will get!! 
The very gorgeous of the Prima pattern papers: Bella Rouge



 and here's the color Palette for the challenge


Here's my project for this months challenge and I have a tutorial for it as well. 
This pretty Canvas took my heart away once it was finished!! Totally loved the outcome!
This canvas is all flowery and loved the colors as well, but my favorite is that quote!! 'Be Yourself, everyone else is taken' such a wonderful, powerful and lovely message for all the ladies out there. You all rock!
Lets check out how I made this one, I have a picture tutorial for the same.


I so totally the way this Canvas turned out to be!!! This probably is my second try at some serious mixed media and totally worth the planning and time spent for execution!

Here's the step by step making of this wonderful canvas which soon will go on one of my living room wall (and this time I'm firm on getting this one on the wall)

1. Take a 15*15 inch canvas (this one was lying with me and I had this custom made long ago from a frame shop) , but you can take any size canvas,  and then to prepare the base, apply about two coats of Gesso. Do remember to apply the second coat after the first one dries completely. 
Take the right shade of the blue acrylic color and I had then mixed this blue with the gesso again and applied it evenly. The trick is that when applying the color mixed gesso, the base gets more durability and the application of the color is more even and smooth. 
Once the base coat of the blue was done, I then applied a little straight-from-the-acrylic-bottle more shade of blue which turns out to be dark around the corners and tried blending it in the canvas area with the base coat. This gave me a little blending of the colors.


2. Taking the Brick stencil and the Sakura modelling paste, make the brick pattern on the edges of the canvas. I basically wanted my brick look to come at two parallel edges. 


3. Once the modelling paste dried, cut out a few pieces from the watercolor paper and apply random shades of the watercolors on the swatches. Make sure to use the colors which go along with the blue base.  Keep the paper cutting randomly and see how it looks! I normally try to keep everything on the canvas before fixing the embellishments to see how they fit together with one another. 
Also cut a little shaped piece of pattern paper to form a vase for the flowers.
Once I was happy with the arrangement, I applied them all with mod podge onto the canvas. 


4. Once step 3 was done, I had randomly applied gesso again onto some parts of the canvas and tried blending the watercolor pieces with one another and again used a little of the colors with gesso. Once I was happy (again) with the way my canvas looked, I stamped Prima calligraphic stamp with Archival ink at random places on the canvas (and once this step is done, you can actually see a lot of difference this stamping brings to the complete look.)


5. And now onto on of the most awesome part, the Flower arrangement. There is no denying the fact that I love flowers and I always find a way or two to use them in my projects (& it's really very difficult for me to make one without them ) 
Once I was glad with the flower arrangement, I glued them all!!  Checkout that pretty crackle effect on the vase, it's not completely visible in the below picture, so checkout the next one for that one awesome Ranger product!



ahhh, that lovely crackle effect!! So lovely and pretty!! 

6. And now comes another interesting part of this canvas. The BOLD sentiment. I so wanted a bold one on the canvas, which I think totally suits the softness of the other side of the canvas and which also gives a strong message!! We ladies are bold and strong!! The edges of each sentiment piece is highlighted with a charcoal pencil.

I sprayed a little Lindy Stamp gang mist all over (in purple) to give a striking effect. And those Droplets like thing near the flowers are actually glue dots which I made using the glue gun. (checkout the closer picture of the flower arrangement to view them) and which I think was totally cool!
Finish the canvas off with some pretty butterflies.. So pretty and lovely and they look so real!


Here's the complete canvas for you again and I hope that you'll all love this one!



I hope you'll all like my try at mixed media and we would love to see your participation in this months challenge!

Happy Crafting
Manu




Supplies used from the store:



24 comments:

  1. Beautiful project Manu! I love how you created the background and those beautiful colorful blooms look great! :) I also love the new challenge. I shall definitely play along! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Halak!! I'm glad that you liked it! Do play along our current challenge and we would love to see your creation!

      Manu

      Delete
  2. Oh wow!!! Gorgeous Canvas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Purvi !! Do play along our current challenge and we would love to see your creation!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous mixed media piece Manu. I love theme of this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for Liking it Shilpa!! Means a lot when it comes from an expert like you! Do play along our current challenge and we would love to see your creation!

      Delete
  4. Stunningly beautiful Manu...loved the whole concept...colors...n floral spray on this canvas...TFS the step by step procedure !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Shalu!!! Do try it out! Do play along our current challenge and we would love to see your creation!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Manu! Love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanvi!! so glad that you liked the canvas !

      Delete
  6. What a Gorgeous canvas Manu ! Loved how you have used colors from the moodboard and the Quote too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for liking the canvas Pooja!!! Do play along our current challenge and we would love to see your creation!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful Manu....Love the whole composition :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sathya for liking!! Do play along our current challenge and we would love to see your creation!

      Delete
  8. This is so beautiful Manu! Loved the texture, those little butterflies and the color palette used! Thank you for this tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for liking the canvas Suchi!! Do play along our current challenge and we would love to see your creation!

      Delete
  9. so vibrant and beautiful sure to add colour and sunshine to the wall this adorns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Manu!! Liked the colors n flowery touch. Superb!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!! Loved the color scheme and the flowers and the bold sentiment!! Super duper!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tejal!!! I'm so glad that you liked it!!!
      Hugs! :)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful!! Loved the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Devika! that sentiment is my fav tooo!!

      Delete
  13. Hi Manu,

    I have tied several times last couple of days to add my link to the competition but somehow couldn't do it due to either network issue or technical issue. :-(

    Is there any other way I can submit my creation? Or my chance for participating in this competition is gone? :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and feedback.